The thing about traveling is it's a vicious cycle. The more you travel, the more you get the travel bug, that itch to go somewhere else. (Ahem, I am on vacation in Florida while writing this post!) Traveling is truly addicting, and with every trip I go on, I find myself dreaming of the next one. There are just so many places to see, cultures to experience, and hidden gems to discover! And in the midst of the "Snowpocalypse" of 2015, I thought that now was as good of a time as ever to share some places I've been dreaming of lately. I am writing this post from sunny Florida so I can't really complain, but for those of you in the northeast digging your way out of waist-high piles of snow, I hope this brightens your week!
Josh and I recently booked our honeymoon and I just may be more excited for that than our wedding. KIDDING. But seriously. We are both pumped. Everyone has recommended that we go on our honeymoon directly after the wedding vs. waiting, and we took their advice. It will definitely help us get over that post-wedding depression to jet off to somewhere new and exciting directly after the big day. But then I guess we'll have to deal with the post-honeymoon blues a couple of weeks later. And for that, I haven't thought of a cure yet....
When we started talking about our honeymoon, these are the 5 main things that we wanted:
1. Warm: Being from Vermont and Mass, josh and I don't take a single second of sun for granted. So although we will be traveling in August when it might be nice to escape the heat and go on a action-packed ski adventure, we are both happiest in the sun, so I couldn't image our honeymoon being any different.
2. On the beach but not ONLY a beach: We want to go somewhere where we can swim all day but not somewhere so remote that swimming all day is the only thing to do.
3. Travel time: We actually ruled out everywhere that had a fairly short travel time for our honeymoon. We figured that there aren't going to be many other instances where can take 2 weeks off to travel, so we might as well go somewhere that takes a bit of time to get to and we might not be able to visit otherwise.
4. Romantic. It's our honeymoon! There's some places that are great for families, some places that are great for girls trips or bros trips, and some places that just scream romance and are so picturesque that you couldn't imagine experiencing them with anyone else than the person you love most.
5. Little planning required: We wanted to travel somewhere where literally all we had to do in advance was book our flight and hotel and then when we got there, everything was close enough where we could just relax and make plans as we go. That was what was so nice about our trip to Bermuda last spring. Since we will have more than enough planning to do when it comes to the wedding, the last thing we wanted to do was have to plan a whole whole honeymoon itinerary too.
And these are the 5 major places we considered and how we ultimately made a decision. Cue the wanderlust...
Why we ruled it out: Weather! August is smack dab in the middle of Thailand's rainy season, which means it's a super cheap and non-touristy time to travel there, but we worried about the daily downpours putting a damper on our trip. I've heard from several people that it's still beautiful weather for most of the day during the rainy season, but I think we will save this trip for when we can travel in January or February.
4. French Polynesia
The Greek islands is where everything we wanted out of a honeymoon aligned, so that is where we decided to go! We opted to spend the first half of the trip on the island of Mykonos and the second half in the Oia area of Santorini, and we seriously can't wait.
Do any of these pull on your travel-loving heartstrings? Is there one city that you've always dreamed of traveling to? And of course, if you have been to Greece and have any tips as to things to do, places to see, or even just restaurants you enjoyed while you were there, please share!